Blog Birthday & Giveaway
Today my blog turns 10 and to celebrate I am holding a stationery giveaway!
Ten years ago on the 13th of May 2006, a 19 year old me registered the domain kya.nu. In my first blog post, I wrote that it had been a wishlist domain for a while. I think the greatest thing about looking at that first entry is the people who commented, a number of them are still good friends with me today!
Throughout those ten years, there has been tremendous change. I lost loved ones, helped family battle illness, struggled with my own mental health, made friendships, lost friendships, started university, wrote a book and finally within the last few years found positive influences that enabled me to finally see a future for myself. I feel optimistic about what lies ahead and look forward to sharing that journey on my blog.
Kya’s Blog Birthday Giveaway
100 Cats on my bed
I have styled my bedroom with an adorable new kitty quilt cover.
I recently purchased three new quilt covers from Target. I am a sucker for a good/cute design, and couldn’t resist the Kitty, Fox & Friends and Ice Cream (Sprinkles). A lot of the time the adorable designs are only available in smaller sizes for kids, so I was pleasantly surprised to find designs I liked in double & queen.
15 things I learned (while renovating)
When renovating, there are often things that you learn along the way that you wish you had done or known before you started.
Maybe these will be helpful if anyone else decides to undertake a renovation (and possibly be a useful reminder to myself, if I decide to renovate another space).
1. Make a budget and over estimate the cost
2. Measure everything
3. Measure everything again
4. For a full room, do the floor last (doh)
5. If you can, always get more paint then you need
6. Don’t try and remove nails with pliers ….
7. Don’t put screws on the outside of draws… (ahaha)
8. Don’t leave tape on a painted floor in summer
9. Screwdrivers that have a magnetic attachment to screws are awesome
10. Having the right tools for certain tasks makes things a lot easier
11. Make sure you have the right type of paint for each surface
12. Drop sheets are better on a floor then newspaper
13. While a paint scrapper is fun to use as a ‘multi-tool’ it’s not really its purpose…
14. Get loads of sandpaper, you can do through it quickly
15. DO NOT TRY AND CUT CORNERS (i.e; thinking that paint will be enough to hide some badly grouted tiles and realising that no it won’t and you have to remove all the paint, grout the tiles and paint them again, eeeeh)
Christmas Exchange 2015
With Christmas and the holidays approaching, I have decided to make an exchange post for anyone that may be interested to exchange cards or gifts via the post/snail mail. ??
The deadline for the exchange is November 9, 2015. So I then have time to print the cards and have everything organised.
While you had not been working properly for the past twenty days it had been a challenge. I do apologise that I swore at you, called you names and generally fired some hate in your direction. However, it has been difficult as I realised how much I have become dependent on you (study, entertainment, social, creative, all the things). So, here are some of the changes I have had to make and things I have been doing to amuse myself without you.