The Month That Was: May 2016
In May 2016 my blog turned 10, I continued study and mostly finished the kitchen.
For some random reason May is my favourite month in the year. I guess because its starting to cool down and we get a lot of rain and can get snuggly near the fire. This month I was able to celebrate my blog turning ten and ran a competition. I have also mostly finished the kitchen. I say mostly, because I do have it functioning as a kitchen again, but there are some things I am just not happy with. Once I fix them, then I will take photos and declare it finally ‘done’.
Blog Birthday & Giveaway
Today my blog turns 10 and to celebrate I am holding a stationery giveaway!
Ten years ago on the 13th of May 2006, a 19 year old me registered the domain kya.nu. In my first blog post, I wrote that it had been a wishlist domain for a while. I think the greatest thing about looking at that first entry is the people who commented, a number of them are still good friends with me today!
Throughout those ten years, there has been tremendous change. I lost loved ones, helped family battle illness, struggled with my own mental health, made friendships, lost friendships, started university, wrote a book and finally within the last few years found positive influences that enabled me to finally see a future for myself. I feel optimistic about what lies ahead and look forward to sharing that journey on my blog.
Kya’s Blog Birthday Giveaway
The Month That Was: March 2016
In March 2016, I started my next class at Uni, turned 29 and almost finished the kitchen.
- Started my second class at Uni, which has a focus on many traditional design formats. Such as sketching, tracing, model making, collage. It has a main focus on doing things by hand, and not using computer software. This has been a challenge, because I am so used to using a computer and Illustrator or Photoshop. I have been learning a lot, which is great.
- I turned 29, and was pretty okay about that.
- I got my results from my first class at Uni and received a grade of 94% and high distinction, which put my GPA at 4.0!
- I have continued the kitchen renovation and I am very close to being finished! Hopefully next month I am able to write up a full recap with the finished look!
- Have continued to be soda free, and still loosing weight.
Today I turned 29 and while it is a weird age to consider that your 20s are almost over, I think I am mostly okay with that.
I have never been one to let age define who I am, and that is probably why turning 29 is not that big of a deal. I think sometimes when the number begins to grow larger you start to contemplate all the things you wanted to do by a certain point in time, or the expectations that you have for yourself.
I am happy that I am finally doing the things that I want to do. Studying at University, devoting time to creative pursuits (like digital art, and finishing my first book last year) as well as focussing on my health, both mental and psychical. I feel positive about the future, and that is something I have not been able to say for a long time.
On March 11, I turned 28. It wasn’t all doomy and gloomy, but it did feel strange. Yesterday I thought I was only a teen, and now I am inching towards 30.
I think the most important thing that I realised is; I don’t have to act my age, I only have to be myself. My age does not define who I am or dictate how I should live.